Sunday, January 30, 2011

EV: Preliminary

At the middle of hectic chasing Mr. Bigman to give me permission to take comprehensive exams, Mutya -my junior- offered me to participate in a voluntary program that would take place in the village of Babakan Madang, Sentul, Bogor. Voluntary program titled "Global Village" was a collaboration between the departments of social responsibility (CSR) POSCO -international steel-manufacturing company based in South Korea- and Habitat for Humanity Indonesia (non-profit institutions engaged in social and humanitarian).

Actually, the Indonesian students who were invited to participate in the program were POSCO scholarship receivers. But because only 3 of them who confirmed to participate, the POSCO provided an opportunity for that 3 persons that each could invite up to 5 friends to join in this program. Therefore Mutya took Santus and me (by chance the three of us are in same major/department in university and and also live in one boarding house) for follow-up program that will run for from 18 January to 28 January.

At first I was hesitant to join the Global Village (GV) program because the duration was too long. I feared that my final project would be abandoned. In addition, the thing that made me hesitate was the absence of a clear rundown for the program. Once thought lest it only mode for human trafficking. It could be we would be sent to Korea as maids. [Oh No ... What such a silly thought it was?!?]

After some persuasion I agreed to join the program partially, only for 5 days. But once Santus and Mutya red the whole rundown I immediately told them that I will follow this program in full. Why?!? Because in the last five days there would be fun events at The Jungle Water Park, Sea World and Grand Indonesia. [Fun, fun, fun.. Free vacations :)]


Another thing that made us even more excited about this program was because we would work together with several volunteers from the Korean. HWOW .. HWOW ... I directly pictured handsome faces of Won Bin and Kim Hyung Jun. Some of my male friends like Ghani and Kak Yogi even asked me to kidnap a girl who looks like Shin Min Ah (actress rolling as Gu Mi Ho in the drama "My Girlfriend is Nine Tailed Fox)".

GV program was truly providing a valuable and unforgettable experience in my life. There are new things I learned (in particular) about the Korean people. That ten days really made me a lot of self introspection especially in terms of socializing with other people. Ten days was not long enough to be able to make a good cross-country friendship. But with the sincerity I believed that it would not be an impossible thing to be realized.

To share my experience interacting with 120 of the Koreans that I met at GV, I'll pour it through the writing on this blog with label
Global Village Habitat for Humanity Indonesia-POSCO 2011 . Hopefully what I write will be useful to readers.

Well ... CHECK THEM OUT!

-Ari-

0 comments:

Post a Comment