Friday, February 11, 2011

Me and My Korean Friends

In the Global Village Habitat Indonesia-POSCO program, I "infiltrated" into the group 8, which consisted of:
1. JEO/ WOOYEONG -> The Leader /The Big Nose
2. KIM/MINJI -> The Vice Leader /The Red Hair Girl
3. PARK/HEEGUN -> The Oldest /Ahjushi / Gun n 'Roses
4. HONG/HYEONKI -> The Chubbiest /SLR Guy
5. PARK/JIWOO -> The Tooth-Braced Guy
6. PARK/GYEONGSOK -> KIMONG/The Most Handsome One
7. YOO/JAEYUNG -> The Youngest
8. KIM/SUNJAE -> The Warming Up Instructor/Look-Look-Look
9. LEE/EUIJIN --> The Translator
10. KIM/SOHYUN -> The Brown Hair Girl
11. HWANG/YUNJEOUNG -> The One Who Asked me to The Pool After Welcoming Dinner
12. JEONG/SUHYUN -> The Calling Mother
13. PARK/MIHYEON -> Coconut

Because their names sound very similar I give nicknames to each of them. Thank God I was incorporated into the group whose members were nice, funny and friendly. For a moment I felt a bit insecure because my skin is the darkest among them. Luckily my group did not contain of (super) slimy girls (like in Korean series I ever watched) so that I didn't feel being inferior among them. *hehe*

(Left to Right: Gun, Kimong, YunJeoung, Ji, EuiJin, Me, Jae, MihYeon, SuhYun, MinJi, SohYun, Sun, HyeonKi, WooYeong)

Being acquinted with 13 new friends made me want to discuss about Korean name. Here is some information that I can share with you guys.

Korean Names consist of two parts, the family name and first name. In the Korean language, '이름 / ireum' usually refers to a family name (성 / Seong) and forename (명 / Myeong) collectively.

If a foreigner (nonKorea) wants to have Korean name then he/she must undergo 'Changseong' which literally means 'what is creating a new family name'. But contextually 'Changseong' means 'civil administration procedures so that foreigners become citizens of Korea or the process of reporting to the head of the clan name of the relevant government units, in the village, village heads and sub-district, once approved by the court.

There are about 250 surnames in Korea and 3 surnames that most widely used (which covers nearly half of the population and the most preferred by foreigners who naturalize theirselfves) : Kim, Lee and Park.


According to an article I red from a blog [sorry I forgot the blog address], most Korean names have 3 syllables that fits perfectly with the date of birth (YY/MM/DD).

Family Name: shows the last number of births year.

0: Park 1: Kim 2: Shin 3: Choi 4: Song

5: Kang 6: Han 7: Lee 8: Sung 9: Jung



Middle Name: shows the month of birth.

1: Yong 2: Ji 3: Je 4: Hye 5: Dong 6: Sang 7: Ha 8: Hyo 9: Soo 10: Eun

11: Hyun 12: Rae


Last Name: shows the date of birth.

1: Hwa 2: Woo 3: Joon 4: Hee 5: Kyo

6: Kyung 7: Wook 8: Jin 9: Jae 10: Hoon

11: Ra 12: Bin 13: Sun 14: Ri 15: Soo

16: Rim 17: Ah 18: Ae 19: Neul 20: Mun

21: In 22: Mi 23: Ki 24: Sang 25: Byung

26: Seok 27: Gun 28: Yoo 29: Sup 30: Yon


31: Sub

Because I was born on July 18, 1988 so my Korean name is "Ha Sung Ae". Sounds a bit funny huh?!? *hehe*

But actually it does not as simple as that. For example, according to the rules above, I can guess that the birthday of my friend named PARK/JIWOO is February 2 but in fact, he was born on 2 April. *DengDong*

Based on my conversation with my friend, Hwang/YunJeoung about name after marriage, the information I've gathered are:
# Children will inherit the paternal family name.
Example: Hwang/YunJeoung (f) is married to Park/HeeGun (m) their children will become Park / ... ..., eg: Park/Haeri
# The husband's family name will not be attached to the wife.
For cases like the above, Hwang /YunJeoung will not necessarily be called 'Mrs. Park '. People will more often call her with HaeRi Emma, which means mother of HaeRi.

So that's all I can share to you guys. Hopefully what I've writen can be beneficial to anyone who reads this blog.

If anyone wants to correct, please leave comments. I'll always be open for critics and advice.

Best regards,
* Einegelberose *

1 comments:

Unknown said...

your my best friend for ever for life this was the best help off of all websites and resaerching of trying to find the answer you saved my life thank you so much ill nickname you awesome because you rock!

Post a Comment