Friday, February 11, 2011

Oppa (오빠) or Ahjussi (아저시)?!?

Just as the people of Indonesia, the Koreans also use some terms to call another people particularly to call people who are older. Here are some common terms that they use.

# Oppa (오빠): a call from one girl to older brother or to a guy who is older than her (until about 10 years older). 'Oppa' is also intended as a lovely call from girl to her boyfriend or a guy she likes.

# Eonni (언니): a call from one girl to older sister or
to another girl who is older than her.

# Hyeung (형): a call from one guy to a older brother or to another guy who is older than him.

# Nuna (누나): a call from a guy to a girl who is older than him.

# Ahjushi (아저 시): a call for a man who is much older than the caller. The word is commensurate with the word 'uncle'.

# Ahjuma (아줌마): a call for a woman who is much older than the caller. The word is commensurate with the word 'aunt'.

# Songsenim (선생님): a call for teachers.

# Sunbae / Sunbaenim (선배): a call from junior to senior or to more experienced person.

Some of my Korean friends invited me to call them the 'Oppa/ 오빠 'but because in Indonesia the pronunciation of ' Oppa ' refers to 'grandfather' none of themI call' Oppa '. Moreover, 'Oppa' sounded a little bit sassy in my ear. Maybe I'm just going to call someone with 'Oppa' if and only if he is my boyfriend, hehe.

There's something funny related to the selection of the word 'oppa' or 'Ahjussi' to call an older guy. So for example like this, if there is a guy who is 13 years older than me and I call him 'oppa' It means that according to me that guy is OK/good looking. Meanwhile, if I call him the 'Ahjussi' It means that according to me that guy is not OK. * Hehe *

So 'Oppa' and 'Ahjushi' can be used to distinguish the quality of the face of a guy. * Hehe *
So It's a nature thing that park Hae Gun was a little bit irritated when I call him wit 'Ahjussi' *hehe* *peace*

# Einegelberose #

5 comments:

Sofia Jung said...

*아저씨

Unknown said...

Thank you for this post- it held just the information I needed ~!

Unknown said...

Thank you for this post- it held just the information I needed ~!

Unknown said...

Sonsaengnim

Unknown said...

Great post. Helped me to understand my Korean dramas better.

Post a Comment